On Thursday morning, the FB confirmed that Mads Nielsen has signed a new contract that lasts until the 2025 season.
He himself says that it was an easy choice for him to make.
– We have something going on. I feel we have an exciting project, which I want to be a part of. Me and the family really enjoy the city, says a happy Mads Nielsen.
– An eye opener
The Danish stopper’s contract actually expired after the season. Nielsen has been at the club since 2018, and has been involved in both ups and downs. He says himself that he is getting better every day.
– This season we may not have played such entertaining football, so I can understand that the interest in the stands has not been the greatest. For us players, however, it has been very interesting. We are starting to see the results of the project that Mikkjal has presented to us.
– This season has been almost like an eye-opener for me. We work very hard every day and I feel that I have become a better footballer. We were all very disappointed with how last season turned out, so we want to deliver much stronger this year, he says.
– In his prime
Joacim Heier, sporting manager at FFK, does not hide that the club is very pleased to have secured the signature of the Dane for two new years.
– Mads has already shown that he is by far one of the league’s best stoppers. He is important for us, and is a player who is in his prime. So it is clear that we are very happy to have Mads with us further, says Heier.
29-year-old Nielsen is in his sixth FFK season.
– He is experienced, but has many good years left in his career. In addition, he is a very serious footballer, who may have received another small “push” under Mikkjal. He works extremely hard and well on himself, says Heier.
– In other words, do you envision an elite series existence with Mads Nielsen in central defence?
– Mads certainly has the potential to play in the elite series. He is a carrier of continuity and a carrier of culture who we believe can take even bigger steps forward, says Heier.