– It is clear that it is great to be appreciated. But it is my wife Marit who has made it possible for me to keep going all these years. I haven’t been at home much, says the award winner.
In its justification, the committee behind the award writes the following:
“He is and has been active in several organisations, also politically. He has been particularly active in preventive work for children and young people, and has been an active footballer at a high level. Bjørnar is still a very active volunteer in Vestre Toten municipality, and can be found volunteering in various contexts linked to a wide range of teams and associations”.
And there can hardly be a more worthy award winner than Bjørnar Ottesen. The merit list can take anyone’s breath away.
· Played boys’ and junior football in Gjøvik-Lyn. Two years in the A team there.
· 450 A matches for Raufoss in the period 1963-1978.
· Has been a coach for mini putters, little boys and juniors in Raufoss.
· Leader of the junior department and board member of the senior department in Raufoss.
· Trained the A team in 1972, -73 and -74. Played up in the elite series in 1972.
· Trained handball ladies.
· Been in Lions club Vestre Toten for many years
· Involved in the project “Lea seg”, Åsløypa’s friends and Skansen music corps.
· Now sits on the board of the Volunteer Center.
· 16 years in the municipal council/chairmanship in Vestre Toten municipality.
· Leader of the cultural board, the canon board, the library board and the youth council and more.
· Member of the committee for the establishment of Badeland and the artificial grass track.
· Blue Cross scout for five years.
Phew… It is almost unbelievable that one and the same person has carried out so much voluntary work over so many years, and that at the age of 81 he is still keeping the kitchen going with his great commitment.
The award ceremony itself has not yet taken place.
– I don’t know when it will take place. But the head of culture at least called and said I had received the award, and then a letter arrived from the municipality with the same message. So they probably find a suitable occasion for the distribution, says this year’s winner of the volunteer award in Vestre Toten municipality.